Baška has an extremely impressive and ancient cultural heritage. Its cultural heritage combined with the wide range of services it offers definitely makes it one of the most interesting and alluring places on the Croatian Adriatic.
The most famos is Baška tablet but but it has a range of other valuable cultural sites that deserve attention, such as the old town centre, the remains of a Roman settlement, and sacral-cultural memorials.
Let sail along in the history and culture of Baška!!
The ancient inhabitants were the Illyrians, mainly the Iapod tribe. A Roman settlement by the sea developed in the same area that was inhabited by the Illyrian tribes in the 2nd century B.C., but Baška grew into a settlement later, in 418 A.D., on the hill of St.John which overlooks today’s resort.
Baška shares its past with the rest of the island.
Following the Illyrian period and Roman times, it came under the rulership of Byzantium and later under Hungaro-Croatian sovereignty.
Halfway through the middle ages, after the end of the rule of the mighty Krk Frankopan Knights, the island was ruled by Venice, Austria, and also Napoleon’s Illyrians. With the fall of Napoleon, Baška and Krk are once more under the rulership of Austria till the end of World War 1 (1918) when the island was incorporated in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
After the end of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1991, Baška became a part of the Republic of Croatia.
Since 1994, it has been an independent municipality on the Island of Krk (together with five other Municipalities and the town of Krk).
Baška is rich with cultural sights, ranging from old buildings and palaces to sacral cultural monuments. This is an overview of several important ones that definitely worth a look.
The Baška Tablet
The Baška Tablet is a national monument, significant for the Croatian nation. It is a glagolitic inscription, a document consisting of 13 lines carved in stone. The text documents a donation of the Croatian king Zvonimir (1075-1089) to the church of St.Lucy in Jurandvor, where the Baška Tablet was found inserted in the church floor.It was found by Petar Dorcic, the local priest, in 1851.
The Baška Glagolitic path
This path is dedicated to the Glagolitic script and all the Glagolitic monks in Croatian history. It presents a primer of Croatian historic space from A to Z.
The purpose of this path, built in the area where the Baška tablet was found, is to serve as the monument of permanent relevance, teaching all the visitors about historic and cultural significance of this area, and the history of Croatian statehood.
This project is formed as a path of stone sculptures, leading from Treskavac pass all the way to the Old Waterfront in the Baška port. The path does not lead in a straight line, but the sculptures will rather be placed at significant cultural and historic points or at important natural spots. It will encompass 34 stone sculptures with Glagolitic script; 4 largest of them are the work of the academic sculptor Ljubo De Karina, accompanied by 30 smaller sculptures which are still being created at sculptors’ workshops in Baška. Ljubo De Karina is the originator and artistic director of the project. It will take 4-5 years to complete. The set of 34 sculptures will be appended by one more, the dedication sculpture, dedicated to Glagolitic script and Glagolitic monks. All the sculptures will be marked with brass plates.
Each of these plates, placed at the foot of each sculpture, will give the traditional name of that sculpture’s position, the author’s name, the translation in Latin script, an inscription for the blind and the donor’s name. The project was started by the Sinjali society from Baška, and its completion is planned by 2010.
St.Lucy’s church – Jurandvor
It was built in late 11th or early 12th centure, on the remains of an early Christian church.
It is the best known church of this area, ranking among the most important churches of Croatia, since the famous and invaluable Baška tablet dating from 1100 BC was found there.
St. Lucy’s church in Jurandvor is adorned by the main altar, a wooden polyptych made by masters Luka and Ivan, the sons of Paolo Veneziano from 14th century. The original is now held in the Krk Bishop’s Palace.
The church of st. John
This was the first parish church in the valley, from the 11th century. Its bell tower houses the oldest bell in the area from 1431, called “The Old Man”. The church was abandoned at the beginning of the 19th century, and later restored after an epidemic of cholera. There is a cemetery by the church, where the local people have been buried for centuries.
The parish church of the Holy Trinity
This is the biggest church in the Baška area. It was built in Baroque style at the beginning of the 18th century (in 1723) and the interior holds eight altars, one dedicated to the Holy Trinity.The pictures that decorate the church are works of well-known painters: Fran Jurić of the 18th century, the Venetians Paulo Campso of the 16th century and Jacopo Palma the Younger of the 17th century.The church houses a valuable gift from the Princes of Krk, the Frankopans, an artistically crafted silver cross. The bell tower is 28 m high, and dates from 1766.
Church of the Mother of God at Gorica
It was built in the early 15th century, and its interior is adorned by Celestin Medović’s altar painings. It is also famous for its town bell from 1594. Traditionally, it is sounded when the Bishop of Krk visits places of the Baška Valley.
Church of the Mother of God at Gorica got its name to the Mount of Goričica in Jurandvor, where it was originally built.
Church of the Mother of God at Gorica is the major Marian shrine in the Krk Diocese.
It can be reached by road, or by 237 stairs built in 19th century.